Google +1 vs. Facebook Like
With the rise of Google +1 and the growing presence of Facebook Likes, its important to understand the fundamental differences between the two features. As stated on the Google website, "the +1 button is shorthand for this is pretty cool' or' you should check this out.' Click +1 to publicly give something your stamp of approval. Your +1's can help friends, contacts, and others on the web find the best stuff when they search." According to Facebook, 'the Like button lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook. When the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user's friends' News Feed with a link back to your website."
Now, with a better sense of Google +1 and Facebook Like, lets delve into their notable differences:
- For now, Google +1 is only available in search results. Facebook Likes, however, is present all over the web. Thus, until Google expands its +1 feature elsewhere, Facebook controls this comparison.
- Google +1 is present in every search result page. Individuals selectively place Facebook Like in their webpages when they want. Google +1, thus, has a greater presence and will only continue to grow.
- +1 will appear whenever one of your connections performs a search; Facebook Likes appear momentarily on friends' news feeds before becoming buried by more current statuses. For this reason, Google +1 is the heavy favorite here.
- If you wish to +1 something, you must return to the search results page. Facebook, on the other hand, allows you to 'Like' the page right on the page, making it very convenient. Hence, Facebook is the better option here. Of course, one cannot rule out future updates that will expand the +1 features, in which case Google +1 will likely emerge as the better option.
- +1s are shared with your connections via Gmail, Contacts, Buzz, Reader, and Google Chat. Your likes are shared with your network on Facebook. Facebook probably wins this contest until Google rolls out +1.
In the long-term, assuming Google +1 rolls out properly, there is almost no doubt it will become a more powerful tool than Facebook Like. However, Facebook can take refuge in the fact that nothing will offset its heavy Facebook users, not even Google +1. Additionally, the strength of the average social connection between Facebook friends is greater than the social connection between average Google contacts. Each will likely counter the other in an effort to maintain control.
Comments are closed
Thanks for the wonderful info. That is really confusing which one to go for as both have different importance. I guess we have to give importance to both as one will me a mouth to mouth marketing and one affects your ranking and both of them have their own importances which cannot be ignored.
Facebook 'like' is older than Google '+1', and so it has already captured nearly all the websites on the internet but if Google '+1' expands its features, maybe it will win the race.
Google just introduced a series of new updates in response to the latest developments in the Social Media realm
Great refreshing article right now Facebook Like is still winning the race but Facebook is confine in Social Networking not Search Engine browsing tools that's a tremendous difference between Google + 1 reach and impact on ranking, reputation and traffic on a website. Facebook is already old story not talking about the unobtrusive Ads killing the User's experience on Facebook.
+1 button is integrated in Google search results and search engine users can vote for their favourite sites. On the other hand Facebook's Like button integration added yet another dimension to site experience and increased sharing opportunities when users are off the site as well.
Every likes and +1 is important when it comes to social web. This is very important for us to understand the fundamental With the rise of Google +1 and the growing presence of Facebook Likes
Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam \r\nremarks? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can advise?\r\nI get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any help is very much appreciated.